Sunday, August 14, 2011

african coo-coo









I got this recipe from Nirmala's Edible Diary: "african-style baked coo-coo" seen here.
It is a South American dish, but it has a lot of African influence from the slaves brought over by the Dutch in the 17th century.

My neighbor, originally from Louisiana, looked at this dish and said "you got that okra from seafood city didnt you? they have the best okra in town." Indeed they do have the most perfect okra, unbruised and long, priced at about 25/$3.
Seafood City
2700 Colorado Blvd # 140
Los Angeles, CA 90041-1085

I also got these shrimp there for $3.99/lb (About 15/$3), only because the local Filipino people were buying them like crazy and I tend to copy people when they seem legit. I asked a local Filipino man how he was choosing his shrimp (since you pick your own) and he said "they are all good, I just pick the bigger ones, see?" and he lifted one with his tongs and lifted it towards me. Yes. I seeeeee. You can see in the picture how big the ones I chose were, similar to the dude's pick.

Overall, some very good finds in Seafood City.
PS. I also picked up the coconut milk there for a $1.39, which is also included in this recipe.
PPs. I served with a bunch of salsas I collected this week from my frequented taco stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment